Cultural Highlights of Europe's Atlantic Coast
About Lisbon, Portugal
Treasures of Europe
Our expedition cruise in European waters offers beautiful scenery, interesting ports and a less-traveled way to explore the continent´s cultural and natural treasures.
Each morning promises another fascinating and unique European discovery with amazing excursions awaiting you onshore.
Our expert expedition team leads lectures, activities and excursions that bring all the fascinating history, architecture and culture of Europe to life. We have handpicked a selection of memorable ports that feature some of the continent´s most intriguing sights, including many on the exclusive UNESCO World Heritage list.
In addition to European culture and history, this cruise offers the chance to experience some of the most beautiful places on the continent from aboard our new and advanced hybrid-powered expedition ship.
- See UNESCO World Heritage sites along the European coast
- Experience charming towns and beautiful islands
- Learn about the history, culture and natural environment of the places we visit
- Enjoy a overnight stay in Bordeaux
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather conditions
Canals and Gardens - Hamburg, Germany - Embarkation - Full Day
The second-largest city in Germany is one of the greenest urban areas in Europe – featuring large parks, botanical gardens and nature reserves. Before embarking on your ship, you may want to enjoy a harbor barge tour to explore some of the city's canals.
Amsterdam – Treasures of Art - Amsterdam (IJmuiden), Netherlands - Full Day
We’ll be docked a short drive outside Amsterdam, which has grown from a 13th century village to one of the world’s most charming and vital cities. Amsterdam blends fascinating history with modern energy. Tour the famed Canal District and enjoy world-class art at the Rijksmuseum, Rembrandt House, and Van Gogh Museum.
Canal Cruise (3 hrs 30)
Amsterdam is most famous for its narrow, gabled houses lining the canal. Travel to Amsterdam’s city centre by bus and board a glass-topped canal boat that takes you on a 1.5 hour tour through the fabled city’s canals. View the city from a unique angle, gliding past iconic gabled houses, the Maritime Museum, town hall and more.
More than a Beach Destination - Ostend, Belgium - Full Day
There's a wide choice of sights in Ostend. Browse the fish market or take a tour in the footsteps of the singer Marvin Gaye. Perhaps you’d enjoy a tranquil moment in the beautiful Japanese Garden or Ostend Art Museum. History buffs can wander through the fortifications of the infamous German Atlantikwall.
Bruges on your Own (4 hrs 30)
Bruges is a perfect place to wander about and enjoy at your leisure. Our guides accompany you on a shuttle bus and provide helpful advice about where to go and what to explore. The city centre of Bruges is car-free so you can enjoy the picturesque old town and Walplein Square without worrying about traffic - and take post card quality pictures.
Navigating the English Channel - At sea
Today we sail the English Channel, heading towards St. Malo, France. Enjoy time out on deck or join our experts, who will invite you to take part in lectures and talks about our next destinations.
A Pirate Stronghold - St. Malo, France - Full Day
Saint Malo from the sea is a quite a sight, fringed by impenetrable bastions and shallow beaches. Since Roman times, it has been a prized fortification. Tour the Château Saint Malo town museum, and visit the Privateers House built in 1725, where you can learn about local pirate heritage.
UNESCO Mont Saint Michel (5 hrs 30)
Depart the pier at Saint Malo and head straight to Mont Saint Michel, which, as Victor Hugo said, ‘is to the ocean what the Pyramid of Cheops is to the desert’. Discover the narrow streets of the medieval village and enjoy a guided tour of the abbey. Afterward, use free time for independent sightseeing and shopping.
A Well-kept French Secret - Belle Île, France - Full Day
Belle Île is one of France’s most beautiful islands with stunning cliffs, quaint seaside hamlets, pastel houses, lush countryside and rocky coastlines. The island´s beauty has inspired such writers as Dumas and painters like Monet. Join our expedition team for hikes and outings, or discover the markets, shops and sights independently.
Walking Le Palais & Citadel (2 hrs)
Take a tour of Le Palais, Belle Île's fortress, built in the 16th century. Walk from the pier through the charming port of Le Palais to the entrance of the Citadelle Vauban, where you meet colourful characters of the past. Discover the soldiers’ quarters, prison cells, gunpowder storage and kitchens, as well as the Governor Bastion and its garden view over Le Palais port, the coast and distant islands of Houat and Hoedic.
History and Vineyards - Bordeaux, France - Overnight - Full Day
This port city incorporates the modern and ancient effortlessly. Bordeaux’s Old City is a designated UNESCO World Heritage site and covers nearly 5,000 acres, with 350 listed monuments and churches. Nearby, magnificent chateaus sit grandly amidst vineyards. We will overnight here to experience the very best of this amazing city.
History and Heritage of UNESCO Classified Bordeaux (2 hrs 30)
Embark on a panoramic bus tour of Bordeaux's many highlights. Discover City Hall, Cathedral St. Andrews and the old Bordeaux district on your own by foot. With more than 350 UNESCO Cultural Heritage sites, the Bordeaux area never seizes to amaze. One of these remarkable sites is Saint Andrews Cathedral, where Eleanor of Aquitaine and Louis VII, the future king of France, were married in 1137.
Delights of Design - Bilbao, Spain - Full Day
At the heart of Basque country, this sophisticated city hums with action, while maintaining a relaxed pace of life. Bilbao’s old quarter, Casco Viejo, features charming streets dating back to the 1400s, a fine market and unique shops. Other parts of Bilbao are ultra-modern, symbolized by the Guggenheim museum.
Guggenheim Museum (4 hrs)
Join us on a tour of the world-famous Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, a jewel in the city's crown. A shuttle bus takes you to this ship-shaped wonder of a museum, designed by renowned architect, Frank Gehry. Here you see well-known masterpieces like the Poppy Puppy by Jeff Koons, and get to freely wander around the museum at your own pace.
Maritime History - Gijón, Spain - Full Day
Gijón is steeped in history while the surrounding region is known for fine cheeses and cider. The Old Quarter boasts the baroque Revillagigedo Palace, beautiful churches and interesting museums to explore. Enjoy a hike to Santa Catalina for spectacular views, or a leisurely stroll in the ancient fishing village of Cimavilla.
Walking Gijon (4 hrs)
Enjoy a panoramic drive through Gijón, the oldest and the most populated town in Asturias. See the city’s major attractions including the former Labour University of Gijón, an amazing architectural complex built in the mid-20th century. Also see El Molinón stadium, Isabel la Catolica Park and San Lorenzo beach. We start the tour walking through the old town. Take some time to explore on your own before returning to the port.
Architectural Emblems - La Coruña, Spain - Full Day
We will pass the 180 ft high Hercules Tower, the oldest Roman lighthouse in use today, on our way into the harbor. Stroll through reminders of this historic city's medieval golden age, when it became wealthy as the main port for Christian pilgrims making their way to Santiago de Compostela.
UNESCO Hercules Visit (2 hrs)
Join us on a guided bus tour to visit the only lighthouse from Roman times still in operation. Torre de Hercules, a UNESCO site, was built more than 2,000 years ago. According to myth, Hercules came here to fight the giant Geryon, who was defeated and buried where the lighthouse stands today. Climb the 234 steps to the top (additional fee) and enjoy the wonderful view over what used to be considered the end of the world.
The City of Port Wine - Porto, Portugal - Full Day
UNESCO's World Heritage list says this about lovely Porto: “An outstanding urban landscape with a 2,000 year history.” Its continuous growth can be seen in the many monuments, from the cathedral with its Romanesque choir, to the neoclassical Stock Exchange, and the typically Portuguese Church of Santa Clara.
Oporto Sights and River Cruise (4 hrs 30)
Join us on a panoramic drive into Oporto’s centre, passing Foz do Douro (one of the city’s oldest districts) on our way to São Bento Railway Station, one of Oporto’s grandest buildings. We then visit the Ribeira quarter, known for its brightly tiled and pastel-painted façades, and embark on a traditional Portuguese cargo vessel along the Douro River. Afterward, we visit a wine cellar to taste and learn about Portugal´s famous port wine.
Cruising up the Tejo - Lisbon, Portugal - Disembarkation
Early risers will be rewarded with a lovely view of Lisbon as we cruise up the Tejo River, ending our European expedition cruise in the legendary capital of Portugal.